chilekat's latest photos on Grows on You, where garden ideas are shared.

Saturday 10 April 2010

Growing madness.....

Well, today was the day that the chilli plants had their first taste of the outdoors. I must say, I think they rather liked it!


A lot has happened since my last blog and one of the brilliant bits of news is that I am now the proud owner of a greenhouse! I've been working on the assumption that the conservatory would be my only covered growing space (along with any free window-sill!) I didn't think I'd be able to get a greenhouse this year, however; It seems I was wrong and here it is:


Possibly one of the most awkward projects I've had, it was a bugger to build!
But I got there, even if I was a little dead afterwards.....


I still have 29 chilli plants, though I've started to locate new homes for a couple to free up some space. I won't be giving them away until they are in their final pots though; I want them to have the best start, wherever they end up! I also bought a hygrometer/thermometer - set it to work keeping track of the overnight readings in the conservatory.
At the lowest point, the temperature currently goes down to around 5 degrees. Not bad, but still a bit chilly to leave the plants overnight. Having said that, I really dont think it will be long!

So 29 chilli plants, 8 tomato plants:

Photobucket

12 cucumber plants:
Photobucket

And numerous flower seeds sewn.....
Busy, busy, busy!

I dread to think how much I've spent on compost... it's dirt! Fancy dirt, I'll give you that, but still dirt! It'll be worth it though. I'm going to start collecting recipes for sauces. It seems I may end up with far more chilli pods than I could ever use as I'm going along and I cant think of anything worse than just picking them off and binning them! I rather love the idea of making up batches of sauce, though I fear this is going to lead me down a path of even more projects.... There must be more to sauce making than just shoving it in a jar - I bet there's all manner of processes for making it safe and hygenic.

But the idea is in there now; no sense in resisting :-)

No comments: