chilekat's latest photos on Grows on You, where garden ideas are shared.

Saturday 31 July 2010

Kitty-Kat's Scrummy Chilli Recipe

So here it is; a picture by picture demonstration of how I cook my chilli - no beans involved as proper texan chilli doesn't have beans apparently! It's not supposed to have tomatoes either, but I put them in because I prefer it.

YOU WILL NEED:

1kg Stewing Steak
2 Bottles of San Miguel/Dos Equis or similar
5 Garlic Cloves
2 or 3 Sticks of Celery
2 Large onions
1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon of Ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon of freeze dried (instant) coffee
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
50ml Balsamic Vinegar
1 Jar of Jalepenos
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Coarsely Ground Pepper
3 Teaspoons of Chilli powder if not using fresh chillies. (For this recipe I used 8 fresh Cayenne and 2 Jamaican Red Hot peppers, straight from the plant. Firey!

Start by cubing the beef:

Here's my chilles!:

Chop the chillies, celery and onions. Chop both red and green bell peppers into short thin strips.

Heat a little oil in your pot and then fry the beef until it has browned:

Add your onions and garlic and fry for a few minutes:

Then it's time for your Celery, Chopped Chillies, Bell Peppers, Ground Cumin, Brown Sugar, Instant Coffee, A tablespoon of both Salt and Ground Pepper and the jar of Jalepenos - all in, liquid too! - You don't waste that lovely spicy juice :

Now put in your 2 bottles of beer - leave a bit in the bottom of the second bottle in case you need to add a bit more later; alternatively you could drink it!:

Bring it all to the boil for a few minutes:

And then add it to your slow cooker (Alternatively leave it on a low simmering heat on the stove)

How long you leave this is up to you, but I guarantee you that the longer you leave it, the better it will be; I give mine at least 5 or 6 hours....
By the time it's served up, the meat just falls to bits in your mouth, it really is divine!

Before serving, I blitz 2 or 3 ladlefuls in a bowl with a heaped tablespoon of flour. I then add this back into the chilli and it helps to thicken the sauce.

When the glorious time comes, Serve with rice and a lovely great dollop of soured cream:

You will spot that I have beans on my plate - that's because my fella won't eat it with beans in, he can't stand the texture. I think it's nicer with them, even if there aren't actually meant to be any in an authentic chilli! Heck.... I'll eat what I like :-)

No comments: