Monday, 12 September 2011
Chilekat’s Smoked Haddock & Chorizo rice!
Last Saturday, I returned to the Upton Cheyney chilli festival and once again, it was a storming success!(Though I ducked out of the eating contest this year....)
While I was there I met Becky, giving out tasters of a splendid Garlic & Herb chorizo, by 'The Bath Pig' http://www.thebathpig.com/
The flavour was intense and lovely; I wanted to make it into a meal with ingredients that would compliment rather than take away from or clash with it; so I came up with this little beauty. The chilliheads amongst you will notice I've not added any heat! I wanted to keep it quite subtle to keep the flavour of the chorizo as the main event. If you want to add some, by all means go ahead!
200g Basmati rice
2 smoked haddock fillets
Vegetable stock cube
1 bay leaf
A good splash of milk
1 onion, diced
Salt & pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, dissolve a vegetable stock cube in 600ml of water.
Add the rice and simmer until the rice has cooked and absorbed the stock - add a little water if it dries out before being completely cooked.
2. Dice the onion and cut the chorizo into small, half-moon slices.
3. Place the fish in a small pan with the bay leaf. Pour in just enough milk to cover the fish. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until the fish flakes.
3. Remove the fish from the pan, flake with a fork, and set aside. Discard the milk and the bay leaf.
4. Splash some olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and the chorizo pieces. Fry for a minute or two, then add the cooked rice, and the fish.
5. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
6. Shovel into your face and enjoy the magic. ;-)