chilekat's latest photos on Grows on You, where garden ideas are shared.

Saturday 26 February 2011

How to: Make your own grow light.

Grow lights are an essential piece of kit if you want to get a head start on your growing season or want to be able to grow indoors all year round.

If you want to make your own light set-up, here's a how to, along with the costings and where I got my bits and pieces. (prices were correct as of 2010.)

I used:

3 x 30W Daylight bulbs £6.69 each £20.07
3 x Bulb Batten Holders £1.69 each £5.07
2 x Rolls of Aluminium foil tape £2 each from poundland £2.00
1.5mm twin and earth cable approx £1.00 per mtr in B&Q £2.00
1 x Plug from ASDA £0.36
1 x Carboard box
1 x Piece of wood I had lying about

So I spent a grand total of £29.50 bear in mind that is for 3 bulbs! If you only used 2, it would only be just over £21.00...

FAR cheaper than your shop bought stuff and lets face it - far more fun and rewarding.

Here's a link for the bulbs, and one for the holders:

BULBS: http://uk.farnell.com/pro-lite/helix-30w-es-64/lamp-daylight-es-30w-6400k/dp/1298309

BATTEN HOLDERS: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Batten-Holder/invt/710002

So.... here comes the best bit, making it!

The batten holders are screwed to the piece of wood and then wired up with the 1.5mm twin and earth cable like so:

Photobucket

I've drawn it onto the batten holder instructions to give you a better idea:

Photobucket

Make sure you put a plug on the other end that has a 3 amp fuse, and that's it done:

Photobucket

...and with bulbs!:

Photobucket

Now for the reflector and it's amazing what you can achieve with a piece of cardboard and some aluminium foil tape; here's how I did it:

I cut jagged edges where I want my ends to be - this will help when folding the card around the end pieces; I also scored along the width of the card to help it bend neatly:
Photobucket

Then I cut out 2 end pieces:

Photobucket

I folded the ends of the shade around the side pieces and stuck them down:

Photobucket

Then I started lining the box with aluminium foil tape - I thought this would be neater than kitchen foil. You can pick this stuff up for a few quid a roll, but I got mine from the DIY bit in poundland!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

And that's that bit done - one nice and shiny reflector:

Photobucket


Then I added my lights. Using a sharp blade, I cut out a slit from the reflector allowing me to put it behind the batton holders; then I screwed in my bulbs:

Photobucket

I've got 3 30W daylight bulbs and wow; when I switched them on, the whole room went white! - You cant really get that from the photo, but believe me it was a shocker :-)

Photobucket

So that's it; get on and make one for yourself, then stand back and swell with pride.

Happy lighting, folks!

Kat

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou very much for this kat, will come in very handy for when i decide to make one, cheers!

South Carolina Rib Man said...

Super Post, thanks for sharing.

Is this enought light to grow peppers indoors year round?

charlos john said...

I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Best LED Grow Lights Reviews

Unknown said...

If you dont want to make own light then you can visit at reviewslut to buy led grow lights 2019